Christine is Senior Lecturer in Politics and Global Studies. She holds a BA in Sociology from DePaul University (Chicago), an MA in International Politics from the University of Manchester and she received her PhD in Politics from SOAS, University of London in 2009.
Areas of expertise
- War and Security
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- CChildren of War: Child Soldiers as victims and participants in the Sudan Civil War (2012) London: I.B. Tauris
- 2013 Book review of South Sudan: From Revolution to Independence' by LeRiche and Arnold. In Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd Book Review.
- 2007 Book review of Forced Migration in Eastern Africa: Democratization, Structural Adjustment, and Migrants, by Cassandra R. Veney. In The Round Table, December Issue, Routledge.
- 2007 Book review of Who's Afraid of Children? Children, Conflict and International Relations, by Helen Brocklehurst. In The Round Table, May/June Issue, Routledge.
- 2013 'An investigation into the NGOs who assist child soldiers in Southern Sudan', in H. Embacher, G. Prontera, A. Lichtblau, J-D. Steinert, W. Aschauer, D. Galasinski and J.Buckley (eds) Children and War, Past and Present. Solihull: Helion.
- 2007 - 2008 Southern Eye Limited magazine and newspaper, investigative articles & weekly column, 'Juba', 'South Sudan', 'Status of the Implementation of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement', 'The State of Girls' Education in South Sudan'.
- 2013 Organiser of 5th International Children of War Conference, University of Winchester, 4-6 September.
- 2013 'The Tunisian Revolution as experienced by street children'. Paper presented at the 5th International Children of War Conference, University of Winchester, 4-6 September.
- 2013 "The dreams and realities of the Tunisian Revolution: has the aftermath of the Tunisian Revolution served those who needed it most? A study into the lives of the street children of Tunisia". Children and War: Past and Present, University of Salzburg.
2011 September, Conference Speaker, The Lost Childhoods of Wartime, University of Reading, 'Lessons from the Field: A case study of NGOs in Southern Sudan working with former child soldiers of the SPLA'.
- 2010 September, Conference Speaker, Children and War: Past and Present, University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria, 'Methodological and Theoretical Approaches that Emerge from the Case Study of Former Child Soldiers in Southern Sudan'.
- 2008 October, Conference Speaker, The Politics of Peace and Conflict, Political Studies Association of Ireland Annual Conference, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland, 'Southern Sudan: A case study of testimony and theory'.
- 2008 September, Conference Speaker, African Children in Focus: A Paradigm Shift in Methodology and Theory?, Netherlands African Studies Association, Leiden, the Netherlands.
- 2006 November, Presenter, Child Soldiers: Who are they? Why are they fighting? How we can help?, SOAS Amnesty International Society, 'Child Soldiers in Southern Sudan and Northern Uganda: Victimisation within Conflict Studies'.