Dr Simon M Smith is Senior Lecturer in Leadership & Management. He joined the University of Winchester in October 2015. He is Programme Leader for both BA (Hons) Business Management and BA (Hons) Business Management with Enterprise and Innovation.
Areas of expertise
- Leadership and Management
- Human Resource Management
- Organisational Behaviour
- Organisational Analysis
- International Business
- Stokes, P., Moore, N., Smith, S.M., Larson, M. and Brindley, C. (2017) ‘Organizational Ambidexterity and the Emerging-to-Advanced Economy Nexus: Cases from Private Higher Education Operators in the UK’, Thunderbird International Business Review, 59 (3), pp.333-348. DOI: 10.1002/tie.21843
- Smith, S.M. (2017) ‘Organizational Ambidexterity: Welcome to paradox city’, Human Resource Management International Digest, 25 (1), pp.1-3. DOI: 10.1108/HRMID-06-2016-0087
- Engelbart, S.M., Jackson, D.A. and Smith, S.M. (2017) ‘Examining Asian and European reactions within shock advertising’, Asian Journal of Business Research, 7 (2), pp.37-56. DOI 10.14707/ajbr.170036
- Scott, P., Scott, T., Stokes, P., Moore, N., Smith, S.M., Rowland, C. and Ward, T. (2017) ‘Reconceptualising Buyer Behavior in the Digital Era: An Emergent Journey’, International Journal of Technology Marketing, 12 (2), pp.165-179. DOI: 10.1504/IJTMKT.2017.083378
- Scott, P., Scott, T., Stokes, P., Moore, N., Smith, S.M., Rowland, C. and Ward, T. (2017) ‘The Consumer Journey in the Digital Age – The Challenges Faced by Destination and Place Marketing Agencies’, Int. J. of Digital Culture and Electronic Tourism, 2 (1), pp.28-45. DOI: 10.1504/IJDCET.2017.082512
- Stokes, P., Liu, Yi-Peng, Smith, S.M., Leidner, S., Moore, N. and Rowland, C. (2016) ‘Managing talent across advanced and emerging economies: HR issues and challenges in a Sino-German strategic collaboration’, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 27 (20), pp.2310-2338. DOI: 10.1080/09585192.2015.1074090
- Stokes, P., Moore, N., Moss, D., Mathews, M., Smith, S.M. and Liu, Yi-Peng (2015) ‘The Micro-Dynamics of Intra-Organizational and Individual Behaviour and Their Role in Organizational Ambidexterity Boundaries’, Human Resource Management, 54 (1), pp.63-86. DOI: 10.1002/hrm.21690
- Smith, S.M. and Stokes, P. (2015) ‘Signs and Wonders: Exploring the Effects and Impact of the Investors in People Logo and Symbols’, European Journal of Training and Development, 39 (4), pp.298-314.
- Stokes, P., Larson, M., Russell, N., Adderley, S., Moore, N., Mathews, M., Smith, S., Lichy, J., Scott, P., Ward, T. and Brindley, C. (2015) ‘Smart Cities’ - Issues and Challenges for ‘Old World’ Economies: A Case from the United Kingdom, Dynamic Relationships Management Journal, 4 (2), pp.3-22. DOI: 10.17708/DRMJ.2015.v04n02a01
- Smith, S.M., Stokes, P. and Wilson, J. (2014) ‘Exploring the impact of Investors in People: A focus on training and development, job satisfaction, and awareness of the Standard’, Employee Relations, 36 (3), pp.266-279.
- Leidner, S. and Smith, S.M. (2013) ‘What keeps potential job-hoppers’ feet on the ground? Training helps German employees to stay loyal’, Human Resource Management International Digest, 21 (1), pp.31-33.
- Smith, S.M. and Lee, A. (2012) ‘Coping with the first fail: a strategic approach to student retention’, Enhancing the Learner Experience in Higher Education, 4 (1), pp.70-74.
- Smith, S.M. (2009) ‘Enhancing performance with Investors in People recognition: exploring the alleged link’, Development and Learning in Organizations, 23 (2), p.16-18.
- Smith, S.M. (2009) ‘Investors in People: the chicken and the egg: HR specialists should be cautious about claims for the standard’, Human Resource Management International Digest, 17 (1), p.38-39.
- Stokes P., Moore, N., Smith, S., Rowland, C. and Scott, P. (Eds) (2016) Organizational Management: Approaches and Solutions. London: Kogan Page.
- Scott, T., Scott, P., Stokes, P., Moore, N., Smith, S.M. and Ward, T. (2015) Reconceptualising the Consumer Journey in the Digital Age – An Exploratory Study of the United Kingdom Retail Sector. 8th Annual EuroMed Academy of Business Conference, Verona, Italy
- Smith, S.M. (2014) International students and their dissertations: Let’s not put square pegs into round holes, at The 7th Annual EuroMed Academy of Business Conference, Kristiansand, Norway.
- Smith, S.M. (2013) ‘Is there a different way to approach undergraduate dissertations with international students?’, at HEA: Intercultural Business Communication: Bridging the Workplace and the Classroom conference, Edinburgh Napier University, Scotland.
- Smith, S.M. (2012) ‘Examining an innovative undergraduate dissertation approach: an international student perspective’, at HEA: Journeys in Intercultural Understanding – Improving Internationalisation within Higher Education conference, UCLan, Preston, England.
- Lee, A. and Smith, S. (2010) ‘First Fail Forward’, at HEA: Retention Convention, Leeds, England.
Smith, S.M. (2009) ‘Challenging the assumptions surrounding the perceptual value of Investors in People’, at Irish Academy of Management conference, Galway, Ireland.
- Smith, S. (2008) ‘The sustainability and relevance of Investors In People – trying not to judge the book by its cover’, at British Academy of Management conference, Majestic Hotel, Harrogate, England.
- Smith, S. (2008) ‘Exploring the sustainable value of Investors In People’, at Irish Academy of Management conference, Dublin, Ireland.
- Smith, S. (2008) ‘Investors In People – checking for the sell-by-date’, at British Academy of Management HRM Specialist Interest Group conference, Kingston University, London, England.
- Smith, S. (2007) ‘Is Investors In People a Sustainable and Relevant Concept? A Case Study’, at Irish Academy of Management conference, Queen’s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland.