I am Reader in Education and Pathway Leader Education Studies (Special and Inclusive Education). Until August 2018 I served for three years as Faculty Head of Research and Knowledge Exchange.
I have published in leading education journals, including the Oxford Review of Education, British Journal of Sociology of Education, Cambridge Journal of Education and the International Journal of Inclusive Education, for which I am on the editorial advisory board.
I recently co-guest-edited a special issue of the International Journal of Inclusive Education on refugees and inclusive education. With Helen Gunter, I edited the book, Hannah Arendt on Educational Thinking and Practice in Dark Times, to be published in Febuary 2020. I have also co-edited a special issue of the Journal of Educational Administration and History, entitled, 'Hannah Arendt forty years on: thinking about educational administration'.
I recently gave a keynote address at the University of Vienna for The 34th Conference of Researchers in Inclusion, entitled, 'Thinking and the Other: Inclusive education, nationalism and hostility to refugees and immigrants'. I also delivered two keynote addresses and participated in debates about the implication of Article 24 of the Convention on Education at the Polish Disability Forum’s conference, Implementation of the UN Convention on Rights of Disabled Persons a common cause, in Warsaw. The organising panel of a conference on special education at Lillehammer University College, Norway, in November 2016, invited me to give a keynote address, entitled 'Special education and the social world: Responsibility and inclusive transitions'.
Along with Julie Wharton and Louise Pagden, I am part of a consortium made up of 5 partners from 5 different countries, that secured Erasmus+ funding, for the project, Improving teaching to improve refugee education.
I was co-investigator on the Rwanda Diaspora Youth Partnership Programme (www.winchester.ac.uk/rwandaproject). Launched on 1 October 2019, this one-year project explored how young, second-generation Rwandans in the UK might support young people in Rwanda to generate social enterprise and help build a better future for Rwanda. The project, led by Dr Jen Dickinson, is funded by the Global Challenges Research Fund.
In 2020 I was lead organiser of the Webinar, ‘Coronavirus pandemic and the education of children vulnerable to exclusion: Critical lessons for practice and policy in an altered world’, the seminar consisted of 21 papers, presented by leading researchers from across the globe. Over 70 academics and practitioners participated in this seminar, to share crucial ideas and knowledge. A proposal for an edited collection based on this event has been accepted by Bloomsbury Academic publishers
I have co-edited a special issue of Frontiers in Education on forced migration, education, and disability, with colleagues from Universities of Vienna and Aarhus. I am also organising a Symposium/Pre-Seminar to European Educational Research Conference, entitled, Forced Migration and The Global Education 2030 Agenda: From educational research to policy and practice, funded by the European Educational Research Association.
Areas of expertise
- Inclusive education
- Disability studies
- Values and education
- Refugees and migrants and education
Veck, W. 2020. Hannah Arendt, education and the refugee crisis: natality, compensation education and assimilation. In: Education for a world in crisis: Hannah Arendt on educational thinking and practice in dark times, edited by W. Veck and H. M. Gunter. London: Bloomsbury.
Veck, W., Pagden, L. & Wharton, J. 2018. Children Seeking Refuge, Assimilation and Inclusion: Insights from the United Kingdom, Challenges and Opportunities in Education for Refugees in Europe: From Research to good Practices. Rotterdam: Sense.
- Veck, W. 2016. Disability and inclusive education in times of austerity. In: Bhopal, Kalwant and Shain, Farzana ed. Neoliberalism and education: rearticulating social justice and inclusion. London. Routledge.
- Veck, W. 2015. Hannah Arendt, education and power. In: Kupfer, Antonia ed. Education and power: Contexts of oppression and opportunity. London. Palgrave Macmillan, 13-25.
- Veck, W. 2015. Participation in Education as an Invitation to Become Towards the World: Hannah Arendt on the author. In: Smith, Richard ed. Philosophy of Education II: Major Themes in Education. London. Routledge.
Veck, W., Dovigo, F. & Proyer, M. 2020. Editorial: Refugees and Inclusive Education. International Journal of Inclusive education, Special edition on Inclusive Education and Refugees, edited by W. Veck, F. Dovigo and M. Proyer.
Veck, W and Wharton, J. 2019. Refugee children, trust and inclusive school cultures. International Journal of Inclusive education, DOI: 10.1080/13603116.2019.1707304. Special edition on Inclusive Education and Refugees, edited by W. Veck, F. Dovigo and M. Proyer.
Veck, W. & Hall, M. 2018. Inclusive research in education: dialogue, relations and methods, International Journal of Inclusive Education, 1-17. DOI: 10.1080/13603116.2018.1512659.
- Veck, W. & Jessop, S. 2016. Hannah Arendt 40 years on: Thinking about educational administration. Journal of Educational Administration and History, 48. (2). 129-135.
- Veck, W. 2014. Inclusive pedagogy: Ideas from the ethical philosophy of Emmanuel Levinas. Cambridge Journal of Education, 44. (4). 451-464.
- Veck, W. 2014. Disability and inclusive education in times of austerity. British Journal of Sociology of Education, 35. (5). 777-799.
- Veck, W. 2014. Hope, disability and inclusive participation in education. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 18. (2). 177-195.
- Veck, W. 2013. Martin Buber's concept of inclusion as a critique of special education. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 17. (6). 614-628.
- Veck, W. 2013. Participation in Education as an Invitation to Become Towards the World: Hannah Arendt on the author. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 45. (1).36-48.
- Veck. W. 2012. Reflecting on ADHD and disaffection in education with Erich Fromm. Disability and Society, 27. (2). 263-275.
- Veck, W. 2009. Listening to include. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 13. (2). 141-155.
- Veck, W. 2009. From an exclusionary to an inclusive understanding of educational difficulties and educational space: Implications for the Learning Support Assistant’.Oxford Review of Education, 35. (1). 41-56.
- Veck, W. 2002. Connecting relational and psychological processes of exclusion. Disability and Society, 17. (5). 529-540.
- Veck, W. 2016. Book review: Hannah Arendt and the politics of friendship. Journal of Educational Administration and History, 48. (2). 194-6.
- Conference Paper: European Educational Research Association Annual Conference. Including the excluded Other: Rights, policies and refugees and mirgrants in European educational systems, a Round Table Presentation. [University College Dublin]
- Conference Paper: World Congress on Special Needs Education. Beyond the special against inclusive education debate: Inclusive research, ethics and objectivity.[Temple University, Philadelphia]
- Keynote Address: Conference in Special Education, The social world versus the individual:Conflict or synergy?. Inclusive education, responsibility and social justice.[Lillehammer University College]
- Keynote Address: Implementation of the UN Convention on Rights of Disabled Persons a common cause. Implementing article 24 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Individualised and inclusive education in Pre-school, primary and secondary schooling.[The Polish Disability Forum]
- Keynote Address: Implementation of the UN Convention on Rights of Disabled Persons a common cause. Implementing article 24 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Inclusive education and human potential in vocational and higher education and life-long learning. [The Polish Disability Forum]
- Keynote Address: Department of Teacher Development’s Finalist Diversity Conference. Education and Public Perceptions of Disability. [University of Winchester]
- Conference Paper: European Educational Research Association Annual Conference. Conducting inclusive research in education: The primacy of responsibility and dialogue.[Corvinus University, Budapest]
- Presenter: Objectivity and inclusive educational research.[University of Winchester]
- Presenter: Hannah Arendt, power and education. [University of Southampton]
- Presenter: Emmanuel Levinas’s ethical philosophy and inclusive education.[Liverpool Hope University]
- Conference Paper: European Educational Research Association Annual Conference. Inclusive school cultures and the ethical relation in education: Insights from Martin Luther King, Jr. and Emmanuel Levinas. [Bahçesehir University, Istanbul]
- Conference Paper: Inclusive and Supportive Education Congress: Promoting Diversity and Inclusive Practice. The education and teaching of inclusive hope. [Queen’s University, Belfast]
- Co-presenter: Inclusive and Supportive Education Congress: Promoting Diversity and Inclusive Practice. Ways of looking at an inclusive researcher. [Queen’s University, Belfast]