I am a Senior Lecturer in Psychology. I completed my BSc and PhD in Psychology at the University of Hull, before returning to Hampshire to work as a Research Psychologist for Hampshire County Council’s Children’s Services department, based mainly within the Educational Psychology Service. My role included working with educational psychologists, school staff and other colleagues within Children’s Services, helping them to understand psychological research, evaluate their own work to a rigorous level and plan future research and evaluation according to their requirements. Amongst other research, my work included a county-wide anti-bullying survey, an evaluation of the impact on children in LA care of interventions in reading and mathematics (e.g. paired reading); the effectiveness of Speech and Language Therapy services to pre-schools and emotional literacy interventions in schools for children with behavioural, emotional and social difficulties.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: Higher Education Academy Fellowship (FHEA).
Module Leader for Topics in Educational psychology (Final Year Undergraduate)
Final Year Project supervision across the following broad areas: reading; maths; learning motivation, social and emotional difficulties and education; bullying. Research methods: quantitive; qualitative and mixed methods research.
- Maynard, E., Warhurst, A. & Fairchild, N. (2022). Covid-19 and the lost hidden curriculum: locating an evolving narrative ecology of Schools-in-Covid, Pastoral Care in Education, DOI: 10.1080/02643944.2022.2093953
- Warhurst, A., Bayless, S., & Maynard, E. (2022). Teachers’ Perceptions of Supporting Young Carers in Schools: Identifying Support Needs and the Importance of Home–School Relationships. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19, 10755. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph191710755
- Aznar, A., Sowden, P., Bayless, S., Ross, K., Warhurst, A. & Pachi, D., 2021 Home-schooling during COVID-19 lockdown: Effects of coping style, home space, and everyday creativity on stress and home-schooling outcomes. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice. 10, 4, 294-312
- Cleveland, M., Warhurst, A., & Legood, A. (2019) Experiencing resilience through the eyes of early career social workers. British Journal of Social Work, 49 (6), pp. 1434-1451.
- Warhurst, A., & McGeown, S. (2019). Sex differences in education: Exploring children's gender identity. Educational Psychology, 40 (1), pp. 103-119.
- Dunsmuir, S., Atkinson, C., Lang., Warhurst, A., & Wright, S. (2017). Objective structured professional assessments for trainee educational psychologists: An evaluation. Educational Psuchology in Practice, 33 (4), pp. 418-434
- McGeown, S., Osborne, C., Warhurst, A., Norgate, N., & Duncan, L. (2016). Understanding children’s reading activities: Reading motivation, skill and child characteristics as predictors. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 39, 109-125
- Norgate, R., Osborne, C., & Warhurst A. (2013). Change in Myself-As-a-Learner Scale (MALS) scores as pupils transfer to and progress through secondary school. Educational Psychology in Practice, 29 (2), pp. 122-137.
- McGeown, S., Norgate, R., & Warhurst, A. (2012). Exploring intrinsic and extrinsic reading motivation among very good and very poor readers. Educational Research, 54 (3), pp.309-322.
- Norgate, R., Warhurst, A., Hayden, C., Osborne, C., & Traill, M. (2012). Social workers’ perspectives on the placement instability of looked after children. Adoption and Fostering, 36 (2), pp.4-18.
- Warhurst, A & Norgate, R (2012). Progress of pupils attending resourced provision for specific learning difficulties. Educational Psychology in Practice. 28 (1), pp.91-103
- Warhurst, A. (2022). Mental Wellbeing of Children Looked After (CLA) in schools. In A. Mahmud & L. Satchell (Eds.), Mental Wellbeing in Schools: What Teachers Need to Know to Support Pupils from Diverse Backgrounds. Routledge: UK. www.routledge.com/9780367749644
- Warhurst, A. and Twist, S. (2018). Service Children: The reasons behind whether or not they plan to attend University. SCiP Alliance conference From Evidence to Action, London, UK.
- Warhurst, A. and McGeown, S. (2016) Sex differences in education: Exploring children’s’ gender identity. Learning Environments and Learning Outcomes: What we know and how we can apply it?, Aston, Birmingham.
- Warhurst, A., and Osborne, C. (2016). A successful reading intervention for children in foster care. DECP Annual Conference. Towards an inclusive psychology do labels and diagnoses help or hinder? London, UK.
- Warhurst, A. (2008, December). Dyslexia: A Multitude of Definitions. 12th Annual Conference Southern Psychology Services. Ethical Practice in Unethical Circumstances. Bournemouth, UK.