Students with disabilities

Students with disabilities or a severe medical condition

Students are able to apply for University Managed Accommodation for the 2018/19 academic year from the w/c 4th December 2017.

We encourage all students to apply as early as possible to have the best chance of securing a preference choice.  We allocate on a ‘first applied first allocated’ basis in date order and we aim to offer students their preference choices. However, if a student’s preference choice isn’t available (even if they apply within the deadline date) there is the possibility of being offered lower cost, lower standard, shared facilities or off campus accommodation as our guarantee of accommodation is for a room and not a specific type of room.

The University of Winchester, in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 shall endeavour to make reasonable adjustments for students who require extra support within their accommodation either due to a disability, long term medical condition or sensory/physical impairment. This may include making a required adaptation to a room or allocating to a particular location to help them be involved fully in University life and the Student experience.

Prospective and current students are strongly advised to contact the Disabilities and Learning Diversity Team at the University in regards to their requirements. Students should also contact Student Housing Services in regards to requirements for accommodation. Please be aware that medical evidence will be required to support accommodation requests. Students with complex or multiple needs may also be invited in to discuss their accommodation requirements.

The University has a limited number of adapted and or accessible rooms so students need to ensure they apply for accommodation as early as possible, but certainly prior to the guarantee deadline of 31st May 2018.

Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email to confirm the application has been received by Student Housing Services. If you do not receive an email within 1 hour, please contact us as this may mean that your application has not been received by the University.

Find our more about our Service Aim and Accommodation Guarantees.

Please note that the date for guaranteed accommodation (31st May 2018) has now passed.

We would encourage you to make an application using the link below. We are hopeful that we can offer you a room in university managed or approved university nominated accommodation, subject to availability. If this is not possible, we also offer support and guidance in finding alternative accommodation in the private rented sector.

Please read through the Application Guidance 2018 for further information.

Apply now for Housing for 2018/19

In order to apply for housing, you must have selected Winchester as your FIRM choice (usually through UCAS).  If you have only just accepted your place (gone FIRM), please allow at least 24 hours for your acceptance to register with us.

If you experience any problems with the application, please email or call us on 01962 827533

Should you need to apply for a room for a carer, please ensure this is clear in your application and that you have considered the funding of the extra room.

Adapted rooms may include the following:

  • Wheelchair access
  • Automatic doors throughout the flat/house
  • Hoists
  • Height Adjustable equipment
  • Deaf Alerters
  • Epileptic Alarms (for overnight use)

We may also be able to provide the following:

  • Small fridge for the storage of medicines
  • Sharps box

Please be advised that any requests for specific equipment will be considered based upon the medical/supporting evidence that the applicant provides to the University.

Residences with accessible rooms:

Please see below for information about the availability of adapted rooms throughout our residences.

Catered Halls (all shared bathroom facilities):
  • Alwyn Hall
  • St Elizabeths Hall
  • Beech Glade
Self Catered Halls:
  • West Downs En-Suite
  • West Downs shared bathroom facilities
  • Queens Road Twin room
  • Queens Road single
  • Burma Road
  • St Elizabeths (limited self-catered)
  • Beech Glade flat


Suitable for hearing impaired

Suitable for those with restricted mobility

Accessible car parking available

West Downs En Suite




West Downs Shared facilities




Queens Road Twin




Queens Road Single




Burma Road




St Elizabeths Catered




St Elizabeths Self-Catered (limited)




Beech Glade




Beech Glade flat




Alwyn Hall






Dependant on requirement

X - dependant on property

Applying for accessible accomodation

You will need to apply for accommodation online via the link below. The deadline for guaranteed accommodation is the 31st May 2018. To apply, you must have selected Winchester as your first choice and hold a conditional or unconditional firm offer with us. During this process you will be asked if you have any additional requirements which we should be aware of. Please feel free to limit this to a short explanation and follow up with a separate email if necessary.

You will also need to ensure you have emailed us any appropriate supporting evidence to best inform your allocation.

If you have declared a need during the UCAS application process, the University will send you an email, requesting that you complete an Additional Requirement survey. This will help the University to identify what you may require both within accommodation and all other factors relating to your study and use of the University facilities.

Please do bear in mind that you will be asked to list the accommodation options by your preference. Whilst we will do our best to allocate you in to a preferred allocation type; as per the guidance in ‘Residences with accessible rooms’, we may be required to offer you a suitable alternative based on your individual requirements.

Due to the limited numbers of some rooms, in particular, those with specific adaptations, any student who applies after the deadline would need to contact Student Housing Services to discuss availability.

Applying for subsequent years

If you require a room in University accommodation for the duration of your course, you will not automatically be allocated one. You will need to ensure that you make an online application before the guarantee deadline each year, If your circumstances have changed since your first application and may affect your allocation, please ensure you provide Student Housing and the Disability and Learning Diversity Team.

Useful contacts:

Student Housing Services

Tel.: 01962 827533


Mon-Thurs 9-5 & Fri 9-4.30

Disability and Learning Diversity Team

Tel.: 01962 827341


Accommodation Financial Subsidy

Following recent changes to the Disabled Student Allowance, we will provide some financial assistance to students who require en-suite accommodation on disability grounds in line with the criteria below.

If you consider yourself to be disabled and therefore are requesting reasonable adjustments with regard to your specific accommodation needs you may be eligible for help in the form of a rent subsidy.

Undergraduate, postgraduate Home, EU and International students can apply for the rent subsidy if they require en-suite or studio on-campus accommodation due to their disability and health needs.

The subsidy will not automatically be awarded to students with a disclosed disability who are in en-suite, on-campus accommodation and you will need to apply annually if you meet the criteria. After your first year, the reassessment will form part of the process to support your accommodation application as a returning student.

The subsidy will be calculated on an annual basis and will be credited to your account.


You are eligible to apply if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  1. A requirement for en-suite, on campus accommodation as a result of a physical disability i.e. mobility difficulty/wheelchair user, where specific accessibility requirements prevent you from sharing bathroom facilities with others.*
  2. A requirement for en-suite, on campus accommodation as a result of a sensory disability e.g. visual impairment, that prevents you from maintaining independence when sharing bathroom facilities because other students impact on the accessibility or usability of the shared space.*
  3. A requirement for en-suite, on campus accommodation as a result of an unseen condition such as a mental health disability, autism spectrum condition or a medical condition that prevents you from using shared bathroom facilities* without a substantial impact on your wellbeing and ability to carry out self-care activities.
  4. Exceptional cases where a requirement for en-suite, accommodation is considered appropriate by senior Student Services staff, based on evidence of ongoing difficulties that substantially impact on your ability to use shared bathroom facilities*.

Personal convenience or preference do not form part of the criteria and will not be considered.

As is current practice, DSAs can only be used in circumstances where other non-specialist accommodation in the same block of accommodation/locality is available to allow SFE to determine the reasonable additional cost.

This means that applications may only be considered for students residing in en-suite accommodation at West Downs, where a shared bathroom alternative is available for comparison.

To apply, please email