Dr Mark Rutter is Senior Lecturer in Creative Writing. He holds an MA from the University of York and a PhD from the University of Southampton. His doctoral thesis is titled Poetry, Art and the Book in Modern Britain. Mark has taught English and Creative Writing at the University of Maine at Machias, the University of Maine at Orono, and Southamptom University. At the University of Winchester Mark teaches Writing and the Environment, Writing Comics and Graphic Novels, Science Fictions and Fantasies, and Poetry Now.
Areas of expertise
- Art and language
- Nature writing
- Homage to Andrei Tarkovsky, (Illustrated poetry pamphlet/Artists' book) Tatlin Books, Maine, 2016
- Bashō in Acadia, Flarestack Poets, January 2015 – link: www.flarestackpoets.co.uk
- water fir rook hand, (Poetry collection) Tatlin Books, Maine, 2002
- After Blake (Artists' book), Tatlin Books, Maine, 1999
- The Farmhouse Voices (Poetry collection), Puckerbrush Press, Maine, 1992
- Snails (Poetry pamphlet), Paranoia Press, Middlesbrough, 1989
Illustrated broadsides and visual poems
- Snowdrift, Tatlin Books, Maine, 2013
- one raindrop, Tatlin Books, Maine, 2010
- from the woods at the end, Tatlin Books, Maine, 2009
- Vortice-Forest 1 and 2, Tatlin Books, Maine, 2007
- Arcana, Tatlin Books, Maine, 2001
- Heretical Satire I, Tatlin Books, Maine, 2001
- Poem for James Joyce, Tatlin Books, Maine, 1999
- Alphabets, dbqp, New York, 1996
- Haiku humours, Iron Press, 2012
- white peak dark peak, morning star, 2010 – link: www.whitepeak-darkpeak.co.uk
- (Online poetry/environmental writing project. Poets chosen by Alec Finlay.)
- Exposure (Anthology of flash fiction), Cinnamon Press, 2010
- Take Five: Best Contemporary Tanka, Vol. 3, Modern English Tanka Press, 2010
- Take Five: Best Contemporary Tanka, Vol. 2, Modern English Tanka Press, 2009
- white lies, red moon press, 2009
- Wing Beats: British Birds in Haiku, Snapshot Press, 2008
- dust of summers, red moon press, 2007
- Miracle and Clockwork: The Best of Other Poetry, Other Poetry Editions, 2005 (The anthology title was taken from a line in my poem 'The Garden in the Clearing')
My poems and fictions have appeared in the following magazines (selected):
Agenda, Anima, Blithe Spirit, Bogg, Dreamcatcher, Envoi, Fire, Frogmore Papers, Frogpond, HQ, Haiku Scotland, Interpreter's House, Ink, Sweat and Tears, Iota, Iron, The Journal, Kaldron On-Line, London Magazine, Magma, Message In A Bottle, Morphrog, Moodswing, Mudfish, Nexus, Other Poetry, Otoliths, Orbis, Outposts, Piedmont Review, Poetry Durham, Poetry Monthly, Presence, Prole, Puckerbrush Review, Reach Poetry, The Reader, The Rialto, roadrunner.org, Sarasvati, Screech Owl, Snakeskin.org, Spokes, Stand, Staple, Temenos, Tenth Muse, Terrible Work, The New Writer, Under the Radar, Weyfarers, Woodnotes, Yefief.
Editing and publishing
- Hummadruz: the e-journal of poetry and the environment (currently under construction)
- Vortex: Winchester University Magazine of Student Writing, 2007 - present
- Blithe Spirit: The Journal of the British Haiku Society, Volume 19, 1-4, 2009
- Slithy Toves: a zine of poetry and art, 1-5, 1993-4
- Homage To Andrei Tarkovsky to be exhibited in Ink + Metal + Paper, 23 Sandy Art Gallery, Portland, Oregon, February 2016.
- Miracle and Clockwork: Paintings, Prints, Lettering Works, Turner Sims Concert Hall, University of Southampton, 2007.
- After Blake, exhibited in Matter and Spirit: The Genesis and Evolution of the Book, Wells Book Arts Center, Aurora, New York, 2004.
- Book arts work included in A Landlocked Press Retrospective, Centre For Maine Contemporary Art, Rockland, Maine, 2001.
- 'Draft as Avant-Text: the Manuscripts of David Jones's 'A, a, a, Domine Deus', Make Every Word Hurts Conference, University of Winchester, July 2014.
- Drawings of Women in the Manuscripts of In Parenthesis', David Jones Society Conference, National Library of Wales, June 2014.
- 'The Tragic Muse: a study of the manuscripts of In Parenthesis', British Modernism Seminar, University of Winchester, November 2012.
I have read my poetry and flash fictions at the following venues and events: Nehru Centre, Hansard Gallery, Troubadour Poetry Café, Poetry Society Café, Imagistic – Cardiff Arts Centre, Maine Centre For Contemporary Arts, University of Derby, Surry Opera Barn (USA), Hampshire Writers Society, University of Winchester 'Off with their Masks' Reading Series.
Performances, exhibitions and installations
2017: Exhibition of paintings titled In the Eye of the Blackbird. Link Gallery, Univ. of Winchester, Nov-Dec 2017.Staff Directory