Hugues Séraphin is a Senior Lecturer in Event and Tourism Management Studies. He holds a PhD from the Université de Perpignan Via Domitia (France) and joined The University of Winchester Business School in 2012. He is the Programme Leader of the Event Management programme. This programme is one of the leading programmes in the country with 100% students’ satisfaction (NSS 2016).
Hugues started his career in 2003 as a French teacher in a secondary school in Birmingham. He then started to teach Travel, Tourism, and Events in 2006 when he joined a Further Education college in London. Hugues possesses a broad range of international experiences. This includes teaching in top Business Schools and Universities in France (EM Normandie; ESC Larochelle; ESC Pau; Université de Perpignan Via Domitia, etc.). Prior to his career in academic, Hugues worked in the tourism and hospitality sector within various organisations and roles (in the Caribbean and in Europe).
Hugues attained various awards for the quality of his teaching. Hugues is also a research active academic. The links (LinkedIn / ResearchGate / Academia) below provide detailed information on his performance.
Areas of expertise
- Tourism Management
- Event Management
- Seraphin, H., Korstanje, M. (2018). International Event Management: Bridging the gap between theory and practice, New-York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Séraphin, H. (2016) Evènementiels dans la Caraïbe: Atouts et limites pour le tourisme et le territoire. Paris: L' Harmattan
- Powell, C., Dosquet, F, Séraphin, H. (2015) Guide pratique de l’organisateur d’évènements. Caen: EMS Management
- Séraphin, H. (2014) Le tourisme: L’ouverture pour le peuple de Toussaint? Paris: Publibook
- Séraphin, H. (2012) L’enseignement du tourisme en France et au Royaume-Uni. Paris: Publibook
- Botti, L. & Séraphin, H. (2011) Le tourisme aujourd’hui. Brussels: De Boeck
Chapters in books
- Korstanje, M., & Seraphin, H. (2018). Miscarried Enjoyment! Alcohol Consumption as a Platform of Pleasure, Hospitality, and Distinction, In Korstanje, M. (Ed). Tracing Spikes in Fear and Narcissism in Western Democracies since 9-11, New York: Peter Lang
- Séraphin, H., Gowreesunkar, V., Dávila Rodríguez, M.A. & Dávila Pagán, N. (2018). Assessing the tourism performance of a destination: Toward a new approach using Cuba as a case study, In Korstanje, M. (Ed). Critical essays inn tourism research, New York: Nova Science Publishers
- Afanasiev, O., Afanasiev, A., Seraphin, H., & Gowreesunkar, V. (2018) Critical debate on the concept of ecological tourism: The Russian experience, In Korstanje, M. (Ed.) Critical essays in tourism research, New York: Nova Science Publishers
- Korstanje., M & Séraphin, H. (2018). Awakening: A Critical Discussion of the Role of Robots in the Rite of Hospitality, In Krebs, R.A. (Ed) Tourism and Hospitality: Perspectives, Opportunities and Challenges, New York: Nova Science Publishers
- Korstnaje, M & Seraphin, H. (2018) Alcohol consumption and hospitality: Surfing throuh uncertainty, In Krebs, R.A (Ed) Tourism and Hospitality: Perspectives, opportunities and challenges, New-York: Nova Science Publishers
- Séraphin, H., Gowreesunkar, V. (2017) On the use of qualitative comparative analysis to identify the bright spots in dark tourism, In Korstanje, M. & Babu, G. (Eds.) Virtual Traumascapes and Exploring the Roots of Dark Tourism, Hershey: IGI Global
- Séraphin, H., Gowreesunkar, V. & Chaarani, B. (2017) Corporate Social Responsibility Practices within International Hotel Chains in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, Caribbean, In Koutra, C (Ed.) Social Responsibility: Application of Good Practices and Malpractices in Tourism and Hospitality Industry in the Developing World, New-York: Nova Science Publishers Inc
- Séraphin, H. (2017) Assessing dark tourism as a sustainable economic activity for emerging destinations using a multi criteria approach, in Korstanje, M.E & Handayani, B (Eds.) Gazing at death, New-York: Nova Science Publishers Inc
- Korstanje M. E & Séraphin, H. (2016) Revisiting the Sociology of Consumption in Tourism, in Saurabh Kumar Dixit (Ed.), Handbook of Consumer Behaviour in Hospitality and Tourism. Abingdon: Routledge
- Séraphin, H. (2015) Haiti, In Visser, W. (Ed) The World Guide to Sustainable Enterprise, Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing
- Stoll, A., Carteron, J.C. & Séraphin, H. (2015) France, In Visser, W. (Ed) The World Guide to Sustainable Enterprise, Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing
- Séraphin, H. (2015) Northern and Western, In Visser, W. (Ed) The World Guide to Sustainable Enterprise, Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing
- Séraphin, H. (2014) La formation : Une condition sine-qua non au développement durable du Tourisme en Martinique, in Roselé Chim, P. & Raboteur, J. (Eds), Les Défis du développement du tourisme et l'intelligence économique des territoires. Villes sur mer et en terre, Paris: Publibook
- Séraphin, H. (2014) Developing a destination image : A way forward for tourism in Haïti, in Roselé Chim, P. & Raboteur, J. (Eds), Les Défis du développement du tourisme et l'intelligence économique des territoires. Villes sur mer et en terre, Paris: Publibook
- Séraphin, H. (2014) Bonjour blanc a journey through Haïti, as an original form of travel writting, in Roselé Chim, P. & Raboteur, J. (Eds), Les Défis du développement du tourisme et l'intelligence économique des territoires. Villes sur mer et en terre, Paris: Publibook
- Séraphin, H. & Nolan, E. (2014) Voodoo in Haiti: A Religious Ceremony at the Service of the ‘Houngan’ Called ‘Tourism’, in Frost, W. & Laing, J. (Eds), Rituals and traditional events in the modern world, London: Routledge
- Séraphin, H. & Meldrum, T. (2014) Entrepreneurship and tourism: An inclusive and sustainable strategy for the development of Haiti, in Roberts, S., Best, M. & Cameron, A. (Eds), Contemporary Caribbean Tourism: Concepts and Cases, Barbados: Ian Randle
- Séraphin, H. (2016) Book reviewed: Rampal, S. (2014) Glimpses of a global life, Hertford: Hansib, available here.
- Séraphin, H. (2015) Book reviewed: Wagner, L.R. (2015) Hold tight, don't let go, New York: Amulet Books, available from:http://www.kreolmagazine.com/music-entertainment/books/hold-tight-dont-let-go/
- Séraphin, H. (2015) Book reviewed: Visser, W. (2015) Sustainable Frontiers. Unlocking Change through Business, Leadership and Innovation, Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing.
- Séraphin, H. (2015) Book reviewed: Thomson, I (2014) Bonjour blanc, a journey through Haiti, London: Vintage, available here.
- Séraphin, H. (2014) Book reviewed: Johnston, M.W. (2013) Sales force management, Leadership, innovation, technology, New-York: Routledge
Selected peer reviewed journal articles
- Seraphin, H., Smith, S., Scott, P., & Stoakes, P. (2018). Destination Management through organisational ambidexterity: A study of Haitian enclaves, Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, doi: 10.1016/j.dmm.2018.03.005
- Séraphin, H., Sheeran, P., & Pilato, M. (2018). Over-tourism and the fall of Venice as a destination, Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, doi: 10.1016/j.dmm.2018.01.011
- Seraphin, H., Yallop, A., Capatana, A. & Gowreesunkar, V. (2018) Heritage in tourism organisations' branding strategy: The case of a post-colonial, post-conflict and post-disaster destination, International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research, doi: 10.1108/IJCTHR-05-2017-0057
- Seraphin, H. (2018). Natural disaster and disaster and destination management: The case of the Caribbean and hurricane Irma, Current Issues in Tourism, doi: 10.1080/13683500.2017.1422483
- Dosquet, D., Séraphin, H., & Bonnardel. (2017). La marque politique. Le cas de l’évaluation du logo ‘Les Républicains’ par ses militants, Revue Française de Marketing, 62 (4), 25-36
- Gowreesunkar, V., Navqvi, M.A & Seraphin, H. (2017)Implications of tourism development on islets: Ilot Barnaches (Mauritius) as a case study, Island Studies Journal, doi: http://doi.org/10.24043/isj.26
- Séraphin, H. (2017) Tourism and terrorism in France: The limits of Dark Tourism, Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, doi: 10.1108/WHATT-09-2016-0044
- Minto-Coy, I.D. & Séraphin, H. (2017) The role of the diaspora in the emergence of economic and territorial intelligence in Haiti’ International Journal of Business and Emerging Markets, 9 (1): 48–67
- Séraphin, H., Butcher, J. & Konstanje, M. (2016). Challenging the negative images of Haiti at a pre-visit stage using Visual Online Learning Materials, Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events, doi: 10.1080/19407963.2016.1261146
- Seraphin, H., Gowreesunkar, V. & Ambaye, M. (2016) The Blakeley Model applied to improving a tourist destination: An exploratory study. The case of Haiti, Journal of Destination Marketing Management, doi: 10.1016/j.jdmm.2016.07.004
- Séraphin, H., Ambaye, M., Gowreesunkar, V. & Bonnardel, V. (2016), A marketing research tool for destination marketing organizations' logo design, Journal of Business Research, doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.04.074
- Séraphin, H & Paul, B (2015) La diaspora: Un levier pour le développement du tourisme en Haïti, Mondes du Tourisme [online], available here.
- Gowreesunkar, V., Van der Sterren, J. & Séraphin, H. (2015) Social Entrepreneurship as a tool for promoting Global Citizenship in Island Tourism, Ara Journal of Tourism Research, 5, (1), 7-23
- Bénédique, P. & Séraphin, H. (2014) L’Haitianité et la responsabilité sociale de la diaspora dans le développement d’Haïti, Études Caribéennes, (29) doi: 10.4000/etudescaribeennes.7161
- Séraphin, H. (2014) Les jeux d’influences dans le tourisme: Cas d’Haïti, Journal of Haitian Studies, 20, (2), 66-86
- Séraphin, H., Butler, C. & Gowreesunkar, V. (2013) Entrepreneurship in the tourism sector: A comparative approach of Haiti, coastal Kenya and Mauritius, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 11, (2), 72-92
- Séraphin, H. & Nolan, E. (2013) Events and Tourism: The role of (Imagineering) Events in Local Community self-actualisation in small territories. The case of Haiti, International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality [online], available here.
Guest Editor Special Issue
- Guest editors: Seraphin, H & Gowreesunkar, V
- Journal: Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes
- Theme: What marketing strategy for destinations with a negative image?
- Year: 2017
- Platania, M.. Pilato, M. & Seraphin, H (2017). The place of heritage and identity in the marketing strategy of destinations: A worldwide approach based on DMO slogans, CACTUS conference, October 2017 (Romania)
- Bonnardel, V., Séraphin, H., Gowreesunkar, GB. & Ambaye, M. (2017) Redesigning Haiti’s Destination Marketing Organisation logo: Identity, aesthetics and communication implications, GIKA Conference, ISEG (Lisbon, Portugal), June 27-29
- Séraphin, H., Pilato, M. & Bellia, C. (2017) Entrepreneurship in the tourism sector: A risky activity in French Overseas Departments? International conference on: The risk in contemporary economy, University of Galati, Romania, 9-10 June
- Bellia, C., Pilato, M. & Séraphin, H. (2017) The value of intangible resources as a differentiation strategy for enterprises: the case of PGI table grape of Mazzarrone, PEEC 2017 International Conference, Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Bucharest (Romania), 9-10 March
- Pilato, M., Séraphin, H. & Yallop, A. (2016) Exploring the potential of street food as a sustainable livelihood tourism strategy for developing destinations, Australasian Business Ethics Network, 7th and 8th December, 2016, University of Sydney Business School, http://aben.org.au/
- Séraphin, H., Micu, A., Ambaye, M. & Capatina, A. (2016) Performing causal configurations in e-tourism: a fuzzy-set approach, Risk in contemporary economy, Dunarea de Jos University of Galati, Galati (Romania), May 19-20
- Séraphin, H., Ambaye, M., Bonnardel, V. & Gowreesunkar, GB. (2016) A Marketing Research Tool for Destination Management Organisations' Logo Design, GIKA Conference, University of Valencia, Valencia (Spain), March 20-23
- Pilato, M., Bellia, C. & Séraphin, H. (2016) Street food and food safety: A driver for tourism? PEEC2016 International Conference, Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Bucharest (Romania), 3-4 March
- Gowreesunkar, GB, Séraphin, H. (2015) ICT Integration in the classroom teaching process: Investigating perception of secondary school teachers in Mauritius, Distance Education and Teacher Education in Africa 2015, Mauritius, 20-24 July
- Séraphin, H. (2015) Tourism: A modern form of colonialism in Haiti? After Revolution: Versions and Re-Visions of Haiti, Institute for Black Atlantic Research, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, England, 9-10 July
- Séraphin, H. (2015) Marketing and Tourism. Research method for the segmentation of the Haitian diaspora, International Journal of Arts & Sciences (IJAS), International Conference for Business and Economics, Florence (Italy), 16-19 June
- Séraphin, H. (2015) Impacts of travel writing on post-conflict and post-disaster destinations: The case of Haiti, River Tourism: The Pedagogy and Practice of Place Writing, University of Plymouth (England), 3rd June
- Nolan, E & Séraphin, H (2014) Event Management courses: ‘Girl power’? Centre for Gender Studies, spring symposium, 1st March, The University of Winchester, [Online], Available here.
- Butler, C., Séraphin, H. (2013) Can tourism deliver peace through Corporate and Sustainable Responsibility practices? The case of Kenya and Haiti, Cross and inter-disciplinary research conversations, Consortium for Research Excellence Support and Training (CREST) / GuildHE
- Séraphin, H. (2013) Entrepreneurship in tourism as a driver for recovery and sustainable development of the countryside in Haiti. The guest houses as a strong potential option, International conference on active countryside tourism, International centre for research in events, tourism and hospitality, Leeds Metropolitan University
- Séraphin, H. (2013) The contribution of tour guides to destination understanding and image. The case of Haiti via an analysis of: 'Bonjour blanc, a journey through Haiti', International Research Forum on Guided Tours, Breda University of Applied Sciences
- Séraphin, H. (2012) Private and public sector initiative for the development of entrepreneurship in Haiti: The tourism industry, shouldn't it be the priority, 2nd international conference in socially responsible and sustainable entrepreneurship and innovation, University of Southampton.
- Séraphin, H. (2012) Bonjour blanc a journey through Haiti: An allegory of the tourism industry in Haiti, Lit&Tour international conference on literature and tourism, University of Lisbon