Students seeking asylum
Sanctuary award - students seeking asylum
We are committed to creating opportunities for all to study at the University of Winchester, particularly those in difficult circumstances.
Our Sanctuary Award supports up to five students per year seeking sanctuary in the UK to undertake a course in higher education. We will cover your fees and also help with additional costs with a bursary of up to £3000 per year.
Our Sanctuary Award offers a full tuition fee waiver to five students per year who are:
- Seeking asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK, or a dependent or partner of someone seeking asylum
- A dependent or partner of someone who has been granted limited leave to remain or some other form of temporary status
Please note: Spouses/civil partners must have been the spouse/civil partner on the date which the asylum application was made. Children/step-children must have been aged under 18 on the date on which the asylum application was made.
In addition to the fee waiver we can help you cover the costs that come with studying (for example books, IT equipment or travel costs) up to a maximum of £3000 per year.
Applicants to the Sanctuary Award will need to:
- Have been offered a place (conditional or unconditional) on an undergraduate programme at the University of Winchester before applying for the Sanctuary Award. Please note that the only undergraduate programme NOT open to applicants is BSc Physiotherapy.
- Be unable to access UK Government Student Finance (tuition fee loans or maintenance loans/grants) by virtue of their immigration status
- Be able to provide evidence that their asylum application is under consideration by the Home Office
Priority will be given to applicants who already live within easy commuting distance of the University of Winchester
The Sanctuary Award is payable in each standard academic year of the course. This is unless, as a result of an asylum application, you (or your parents or spouse/civil partner) are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK. If this happens, you must inform the University and the award will cease from the start of the next academic year, when you would be expected to apply for student finance instead.
How to apply?
Download Sanctuary Award Application 2019-20 and return the completed and signed form to:
Dr Terri Sandison
Special Projects Manager
c/o Widening Participation Team
University of Winchester
Winchester SO22 4NR
However, please note that you must apply for a place on a course at the University (other than BSc Physiotherapy), and have received an offer of a place on the course, before you can apply for the Sanctuary Award. You must then apply for the Sanctuary award before 28 April 2019.