Modern History Research Centre
The platform for Winchester modern historians and all those with an interest in the history of the recent past.View content
Founded in 2010, the Modern History Research Centre supports the research and dissemination activities of our researchers of modern history, both established staff and research students, and organises public events.
Winchester modern historians have research strengths ranging from Winchester and Wessex to Japan and Russia, the American South, the Hispanic world, Italy, the Holocaust and (post)colonialism in the British and French Empires, as well as medical history and environmental history.
The centre is also home to the Winchester Project, which investigates the history of post-medieval Winchester. For more details, contact Dr Mark Allen.
Modern history research students are studying a wide range of topics, from the Holocaust to the Soviet Union. The centre provides an opportunity for research students to discuss their work more widely. Applications from prospective students are most welcome; for details of the staff who are available to undertake research supervision, please visit the modern history staff profiles below.
The Centre organises an annual series of research seminars that are free and open to the public, as well as academic conferences. Our seminar series see scholars from around the world and closer to home present their research. Contact the Convenor for more information on forthcoming events.
Visit the History Staff profiles below for recent publications by our modern historians.
Meet the team
Follow the links below to find out more about our research interests, areas of supervision and latest publications.
- Dr Xavier Guégan, Senior Lecturer in Colonial and Postcolonial History (Convenor)
- Dr Mark Allen, Senior Lecturer in Modern History
- Prof. Chris Aldous, Professor of Modern International History and Head of Department
- John Blockley, Lecturer in Modern British and European History
- Dr Natalya Chernyshova, Senior Lecturer in Modern History
- Neil Curtin, Senior Lecturer in American History
- Prof. Louise Hill Curth, Professor of Medical History
- Dr Sian Edwards, Lecturer in Modern British History
- Dr Robert Gray, Lecturer in Environmental History
- Dr Graciela Iglesias Rogers, Senior Lecturer in Modern European and Global Hispanic History
- Dr Emiliano Perra, Senior Lecturer in Modern European History
- Dr Simon Sandall, Lecturer in Early Modern British History
- Dr Elena Woodacre, Senior Lecturer in Early Modern European History