English Language Requirements
Please see below our requirements for English Language Tests for all students who are required to provide a test as part of their application to the University.View content
All teaching at the University is in English and to help you get the most out of your time with us, you will be required to demonstrate your level of English during the application process.
The level we normally require is as follows:
For undergraduate study (including courses with an integrated foundation year)
- IELTS with a score of 6.0 overall including at least 5.5 in the writing element.
- TOEFL iBT with a score of 60 overall including at least 18 in the writing element
For postgraduate taught study
- IELTS with a score of 6.5 overall including at least 5.5 in the writing element.
- TOEFL iBT with a score of 79 overall including at least 18 in the writing element
For postgraduate research study
- IELTS with a score of 6.5 overall including at least 7.0 in the writing element.
- TOEFL iBT with a score of 79 overall including at least 27 in the writing element
There are some exceptions to the above and where this applies, the level required is listed under the entry requirements section on the relevant course page.
Courses with professional accreditation (e.g. Journalism, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Social Work and Teacher Training) or that involve studying the English language (e.g. MA Creative Writing and MA English Literature), have higher requirements and these are listed on the individual course pages.
If you do not meet the required level, we offer pre-sessional English language courses during the summer each year. Further information is available from English Language and Teaching Support Unit.
English language and Tier 4 sponsorship
If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, you will need to be able to demonstrate that the qualification you hold is equivalent to CEFR B2 in all 4 components (speaking, listening, reading and writing).
Other acceptable English language qualifications
In addition to IELTS and TOEFL English language qualifications, we accept the following for most courses:
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (grade C or above)
- Cambridge First Certificate in English with 169 points overall and 162 in the writing element
- International Baccalaureate with grade 5 at standard or higher level:
- English B
- English A: Language and Literature
- English A: Literature
- English Literature and Performance
- IGCSE First Language English syllabus 0500 (speaking & listening separately endorsed) - Grade C overall and either grade C1 or B2 in speaking and listening components
- IGCSE First Language English syllabus 0522 (speaking & listening compulsory) – Grade C overall
- IGCSE English as a Second Language syllabus 0510 - Grade C overall and either grade 1 (C1) or 2 (B2) in oral/aural (speaking endorsement)
- IGCSE English as a Second Language syllabus 0511 - Grade C overall and either C1 or B2 (count-in speaking)
- Michigan Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE)
- Functional Skills level 2
- Romanian Baccalaureate – if CEFR B2 level in all components
- Estonian Secondary School Leaving Certificate with the State Examination Certificate (Gümnaasiumi lõputunnistus with the Riigieksamitunnistus) with foreign language English with a minimum of 75% (CEFR B2) in all components.
- Latvian Atestats par visparejo videjo izglitibu - if CEFR B2 level in all components
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education – Grade 4 or above in English language
- Malaysian SPM1119 Cambridge O-level – Grade C or above
- Singapore O-level in English language – Grades A1-C6
- South African National Senior Certificate – Grade 3 (40%) in First Language English
- A degree, equivalent to a UK degree, from a majority English speaking country
Other qualifications may be considered. Please contact us for further information and guidance.